Saturday, December 19, 2009

Five Years

Five years ago today, Hayley smiled three times, took her last breath and heaven got a little brighter...

Five years...a weird sort of "milestone" to reach. It doesn't seem right to have lived without her that long. And yet, we're five years closer to seeing her again. That is a happy thought!

Too tired to write much, but many thanks to all of you who thought of us today (and for that matter, who think of us on any day!). It was a day full of smiles...

So proud of our little man who delivered a wagon full of presents to the hospital and handed them over without fuss. Perhaps slight hesitation, but no fuss! Can you tell he was a boy on a mission?







We were thrilled to see three smiling old friends while there...: )

And I'm not sure it's legal to have this much fun at a cemetary...(though I'm secretly thrilled it's so). You'll notice pink was conspiculously absent...I guess that's what we get for letting Jacob pick the colors...



And though I didn't have my video camera handy, Riley made our day when she started doing the "Funky Hayley" chair dance at dinner at our favorite Mexican place. She was starting to gather quite a little crowd!

We couldn't help but look around all day and be so grateful for these special kiddoes who bring us such joy. And I know we appreciate them all the more because of Hayley.

One of the opening pages of Hayley's final scrapbooks has the following words...

"You will always be our first...
our first baby,
our first time to be "mama" and "dada"
Our first understanding of unconditional love...
Thank you for the chance...
Thank you for the journey..."

Today, on this five year anniversary, know that you are loved and missed...always.

9 comments:

jandkland said...

Oh, I love those words from Hayley's scrapbook. They warm my heart and also make it ache for you. I'm grateful for the beautiful day you had remembering Hayley's Homecoming! I'm glad you have the hope we find in Christ and are able to remember her not only with tears of grief but with anticipation and joy.

--Kelley Land

Alisha G. Robertson said...

Thinking of the whole Thomson family and Haley. It struck me yesterday while driving home that it was the 19th. Hugs to you all!

Rebecca Fleming said...

I came to know Hayley through your caringbridge page. I will forever remeber where I was and how truly devastating it was to hear that a beautiful little girl that I had never laid eyes on, had gone to meet Jesus. I still check in from time to time to see how you guys are doing. Miss Hayley... mattered. She certainly mattered to me. She was special. After having a son who was thought to have a brain tumor... I was quickly thrust into a world that I didn't like nor wanted to be part of. I was incredibly lucky to be able to shut the door to the cancer world... however, in my short stay, I met a little girl with cheeks that I now think about everytime I see my baby girls, and fell in love. She was "that baby" that everyone remembers.

5 years later, I am still keeping up through our photographer (Alisha)who I adore and I know is taking amazing pictures of your precious children as well. I love her updates of how perfect and healthy and beautiful Hayley's siblings are. If anyone deserves healthy perfect children...

Anyway, just wanted to butt in and let you know that Hayley is still remembered 5 years later and loved by perfect strangers, who will never forget her. :o)

Sharon C said...

Thank you for sharing your beautiful Angel with us during her days here on earth. And continuing to open your heart to us. Have a wonderful Christmas with your family!

Robin said...

Thinking of you all and remembering Hayley always.

Linda Lancaster said...

I am so happy that your arms are full with two beautiful children. Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

It is so wonderful how you all celebrate Hayley's life and memory! She continues to impact people in many places. Bless you, Hayley.

Anonymous said...

I remember the day I got on Hayley's Caringbridge site and read that she was gone- so very, very sad. So happy that five years later you have two very beautiful reasons to smile!
Kellie

Jen said...

I thought of you all on Hayley's birthday. Seems weird since I don't know you, but I'll never forget her. My own daughter turned 7 a week before, which really drives home to me what you all should be enjoying and celebrating now.

Powered By Blogger