Sunday, July 12, 2009

Patriots and Prayers

***Please send prayers to the Morgan family as they are forced to adjust to life without beautiful Missy and precious Ryan (http://www.superryan.blogspot.com) While I love the picture of Missy and Ryan united together in heaven, my heart just aches for the family left behind...
********

A few pictures of our patriots!

Sweet Riley (yep, she's a chunk!)



Cool Jacob!


The Gang




And a Flashback to 2004, Hayley



We did the whole traditional "fireworks" thing this year - you know where you picnic for four hours ahead of time for the 15-minute fireworks show!? And Jacob absolutely loved it! I admit it was worth it - even if it did take us 30 minutes to get out of our parking space! The entire weekend, though, my mind kept drifting back to 2004 and the memories of the picture above. We were in such a celebratory mood - Hayley had finished all of her inpatient therapy, and we only had a few outpatient spinal taps left before we could call ourselves "done!" Her counts were even recovered enough that we took her to a BBQ at a friend's house - literally the first time she'd been around non-hospital kids since her diagnosis. She joined right in on all the fun as if she never missed a beat,and my heart was so full it literally could have burst. Unfortunately, it would be less than a week later that we would learn she had relapsed...the true beginning of the end.

It's always been our hope that we would remember to live in the moment and make the most of each day (even the mundane ones!). Too often even I forget that our tomorrows aren't guaranteed. Today I'm thankful that I'm remembering the lesson my daughter, and countless of her friends, taught me so well...

4 comments:

Jen said...

Beautiful pictures. You have a gorgeous family. I am SO sorry to hear about your friends. How truly heartbreaking.

snekcip said...

Dayna this post was really an eyeopener. Yes, we should ALL remember to "live in the moment" and not take it for granted! I have followed your blog during Hayley's battle. I was overjoyed when you and Allen became pregnant w/Jacob and even more elated when you and Allen became pregnant w/Riley! Seems like it has been only yesterday that I followed your beautiful family on caringbridge. I still can't believe that Jacob is 3!!!! Thank you for sharing your beautiful family with me, I'm honored to have known such a precious angel as Hayley!

Cheryl said...

Oh, I had been praying for the Morgan's the last few weeks and just shake my head in disbelief that both Missy and Ryan have now gone on to heaven. I won't forget Les, Will and Heidi (I think I remember their names right.) And thank you for reminding me of Hayley's 2004 July 4th..I will add that day to ones on which I especially remember Hayley.

Sharon C said...

Thinking of your family and your beautiful Angel during this month of Childhood Cancer Awareness. Thank you for sharing your journeys and your children with us!! Sharon Chalmers

Powered By Blogger